Distance from Córdoba: 42 Km. HISTORY: PLACES TO VISIT: GASTRONOMY: FIESTAS:
The town is situated to the southeast of the province on the road C432.
Altitude: 236 m.
Geographical Area: 218,8 Km2
Local Inhabitants: Castreños.
Area code: 957
Townhall: Beaterio, 1. Tel.372375
Local Police: Plaza de abastos. Tel: 372375.
National Police: Llano almagro. Tel: 370119.
The present town of Castro probably came into being
in the Muslim period around a walled enclosure or
fortress under the name of Qasira or Casruh. In 1240
the town was conquered through a pact made by Fernando
III, and five years later was handled over to Córdoba´s
council. Situated on the road to Granada, during the
XV Century, Castro del Río was a place where Christian
troops stopped to replenish their supplies on their way
to battle in Granada. In 1565 Castro became part of the
Marquisate of Priego under whose feudal jurisdiction it
was to remain throughout the Modern Age.
The remains of the walled roman enclosure, loom above
the rooftops of the town´s dwellings. This wall was
erected by the Almohades in the XII Century to defend
Castro form attack. Once in the urban heart of the town
we come across an elegant statue of San Rafael, constructed
in 1.702, and we can admire the homage tower of mediaeval
castle in the distance. The nearby Llano de la iglesia is
presided over by the slender facade of parish church of
Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, a Gothic temple dating from
the time of the Cristian conquest, 1523.
After seeing the parish church one should stroll through the
adjacent neighbourhood of la Villa with its traditional
whitewashed houses and narrow streets, like Martos,
El Agujero and Santo Cristo, wich are embellished with
picturesque arches. Following Tercia Street one reaches
the small church of Madre de Dios situated alongside
La Puerta del Agujero, dated from 143.
Other churches in Castro include; that of Nuestra Señora
del Carmen belonging to an old Carmelite convent and
reconstructed in the XVIII Century.
The church of Jasús Nazareno, erected in the same period.
On teh outskirts of the town stands the hermitage of
Castro´s patroness La Virgen de la Salud, constructed in
the XVII Century.
Pork dished are renowed in the area including el chorizo.
M. Salcedo has collected recipes for old traditional
dished such as el pescado a la minuta, lengua mechada and
rellena, perdices en vinagrillo, guisados de borrego,
huevos a la bandera, pechugas rellenas, albondigas Castreñas
and lomo de naranja. Amongst desserts one should sample
"huevos fritos", bizcoletas, hojaldres and tostones.
During Easter week in Castro the most outstanding event
is a procession of Jesús Nazareno wich leaves the parish
in the early hours of good Friday, and is made up of
numerous penitents bearing crosses on their shoulders.
On the second Sunday in June a gathering dedicated to
La Virgen de la Salud takes place. From 13 to 17 September
the town celebrates its Feria Real.
Distance from Córdoba: 42 Km.
PLACES TO VISIT: