The town is situated to the southwest of the province, four Kilometres from N331.
Distance from Córdoba: 41 Km.
Altitude: 325 m.
Geographical Area: 134,4 Km2
Local Inhabitants: Rambleños.
Area code: 957
Townhall: Plaz de la constitución,9 Tel.682700
Local Police: Townhall.
Carrera. Tel. 231401
Museums: Museo de Alfonso Ariza.
Although its placename is unknown, a Roman town enclosed by city walls existed on the site at the end of the Republican Age. The Arabs gave the town its present name derived from al-Rambla meaning sandy ground. In 1480 the lieutenancy of the castle was awarded to Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, the future "Gran Capitán". On 6 February 1521 La Rambla was to go down in history when the anti-municipal cities of Andalucía reunited here to draw up a manifiesto agains the communities of Castille in favour of Carlos I. Such a gesture of loyalty enabled the king to select representatives of Parliament and La Rambla became a royal town under the jurisdiction of the city of Córdoba. In 1764 Felipe IV gave permission for the office of mayor to be created in the town, however, five years later La Rambla was handed over to the count Duque de Olivares and later in 1677 was sold by the Marquess of El Carpio to the Marquess of Almodóvar who later became the nobility of La Rambla.
PLACES TO VISIT:
One may enter the urban heart of the town along la Carrera Baja passing the slender brick tower known as la torre de las monjas which dates from 1757, and originally belonged to the convent of la Consolación which has since been demolished. One returns to the street Iglesia (La Rambla´s high street) by following the picturesque streets of Las Flores and Valenzuela embellished with small archways. A solid tower of the Mediaeval castle, which is undergoing restoration work, rises up over the rooftops of the dwellings in the urban heart of La Rambla. The main parish church of La Asunción is to be found at a short distance from here, its neo-Classical appearance is the result of renovations carried out at the end of the XVIII Century in order to save the church from total ruin. The main chapel of the temple is of interest, possessing a noteworthy XVII Century statue of el Cristo de la Espiración by an anonymous artist. A aroca considers this to be "one of the most beautiful images of Christ that Andalucian art has created". This temple possesses an impressive pictorial legacy amongst which the beautiful XVII Century Inmaculada is outstanding-attributed to the work of the painter Antonio Mohedano. The tower at the foot of the church dates from the XVIII Century. Proceeding towards the landscaped square of La Constitución one finds the old public granary dating to the second half of the XVIII Century, which has been converted into the present day town hall. To the south of the urban centre in the street Espiritu Santo, stands the church of the same name, a neo-Classical temple erected around 1819 upon the site of the convent church of Los Antonianos. Amongst the hermitages scattered troughout the urban centre one should mention those of San Jóse, with its pictorial XVII Century altarpiece. Also in the heart of the town one can admire some interesting noble houses mainly from the XVIII Century. The most outstanding examples are at the following locations: Labradores 3, Pedro Ruiz 3, Aguilar 1, and Trinidad 1.
Traditional dishes in La Rambla mentioned by J.R. Pedraza include el arroz en bacalao, el bacalao encebollado, los fritos de habas and la naranja picada. Homemade sweet dishes include pestiños, borrachuelos, gañotes, magdalenas, empanadas de cidra or batata, rosquitos de manteca and roscos de lustre. We should also mention los pasteles de almendra.
The most interesting procession at Easter in La Rambla is that of Jesús Nazareno which leaves the parish in the early hours of Good Friday. This "paso" is protected beneath a slender canopy. Long heavy poles which support the canopy are carried by the brotherhood who strike the ground with them at intervals producing an eerie rhythm, and making the procession somewhat awesome. The sermon is heard once the procession reaches la Plaza de la Constitución and the blessing of Jesús Nazareno takes place later in El Calvario. On 3 May crosses are set up in the streets and squares of La Rambla which are then judged in a competition, and from 8 to 14 August the town celebrates the fair dedicated to San Lorenzo patron of La Rambla, at the same time, the traditional pottery and ceramics exhibition takes place, in which traditional pieces of work such as botijos and ceramic jugs are exhibited.